Friday, June 12, 2009

The Case of the String Quartet



It's been an intense couple of hours Skat cats.

And for a long time I've been aching for some sort of closure on this - and this being an aching agonizing search for love, art, and rock and roll........  I have found the answer to my prayers and have begun the final step to my achieving ultimate satisfaction in:




THE CASE OF THE STRING QUARTET!

Alright so before I go into what will become my "mission 29" I need to inform this story.  Not literally ahem - as in tell a "story" some information - yet ... rather..... well... YOU GET IT C'mon!!

4 and a half years ago.

I was a very fortunate young lad to have a plethora of friends.  Many friends - in many different places.  Yet that was life in High school.  Many friends - out all the time.  You walk away from high school not with the "knowledge" to advance into the real world - or at least not at mine you didn't.  You picked up what you could - through likes and dislikes and "street smarts" you learned what you wanted to get into.......  Through my learning - and my friendships in highschool --- I had two distinct groups of friends.

School friends:
Church friends:

Now this story takes place with a certain Church friend.....  A certain Matt Linblad.  I also call him Matt Mayhem haha - a nickname/stage name I suppose he gave himself.  He's a pretty rockin guy..... Quite literally - Rock star and all.   And before he moved back to his home land of "the United States" of America haha (Orange County California) - I and he went on a little road trip.

The trip.
I was on my way to school - the last day before Spring Break.  *ring ring* "hark, I do believe that is my phone!" - I thought to myself.   Sure enough it was good ol Matt.  Within a second of silly hello's he began telling me about how he was not looking forward to his family trip to Disney World - all by himself.  Sure he'd have his loving family with him - but he wanted a good pal to be by his side............  ;) I'm a good pal.

In a flash I called my mom and told her the good news.  She was thrilled for me being a frequent Disney vacationer herself...... And I mean that - she goes every year - SINCE it first opened!  Now I do believe there was about a 10 year split where she was only able to go about 1 time seeing how we took to the beaches and overwhelmingly intense mini putt courses of Myrtle Beach.  (my favorite was the Peter Pan one!).

As I was hearing details from my mother I am still standing at the bus stop waiting to go to school that morning and (foreshadowing) my friend Mike Mackenzie (who also is now moved away - Vancouver B.C) drives up to me "need a lift?".......... CAN THIS DAY GET ANY BETTER?!

I get a ride to school and the whole day flashes past as a complete blur - nothing is getting through to me except for the extreme trip at hand.

The next morning I wake up really early and get a drive to Matt's house.  We pack up his care and head out......  This is of course learning that this a REAL road trip.  None of that straight on driving until we get there - which can still be fun - EXCEPT - when you can stop and see new places and live out their individual beauty's - it's soo amazing....  Our first stop was simple.  Just a night over in Kentucky....... WHICH by the way I did not see a SINGLE KFC......  I think it's a bloody myth.  There are KFC killing us slowly all over the world - EXCEPT for in Kentucky... I think it's a conspiracy......  Sure I didn't see ALL of Kentucky .......  But I swear!!!

Next stop was Atlanta Georgia.  HOME OF THE COCA-COLA FACTORY!!! haha.  We didn't see it.  We decided to take on a more historical look around.  We went to the very Church that Rev. Martin Luther King spoke at - and right across the street is a church named in his honor.  Right up the street was the very house he was born in.  Of course this is where I learned about "shot gun houses".  Pretty intense stuff.  And then of course the memorial itself of Martin Luther King....  It said "here lies" - but I feel as though he may be berried some place else.....  After that we traveled to more residential area to visit a friend of their family.  It was nice and also a bit weird for me to be walking through a random house in a completely different country.  A new experience for me.  We debated staying there for the night - but onward we did go.  We made it to Disney.  We stayed in a hotel just off the Disney location.  Now ANYone who is ANYONE knows when staying at Disney - you STAY at Disney - but we had more things in mind than just simply going to Disney world.

We went to of course the best location on earth "The Magic Kingdom" - and spent an entire day embracing out child sides and the magic and fun that really is there.
The 2nd day Matt and I decided to stay around the hotel - not tooo far from the hotel was in face "DownTown Disney", which is a fun place for shopping and then later at night turns into a club district.  There is also a very large building which is an enormous arcade.  We spent our day mostly in there.
But while shopping - we ventured into the huge "Virgin Records" store..................(here it comes) ....................  Just sitting there.  Facing me as if I were a bus and he were a child racing forward at me in a game of "chicken" on no more than a child's scooter.  (Did that once)

At the time I was into many different sorts of punk bands - and there sitting in front of me was a CD of Sum 41.  But this was not the Sum 41 I knew of.... It was their music - but reworked.  Now I say reworked and not "remixed" because this was no beat thugged out version of their songs....  This was a String Quartet Tribute cd to the band.  
Now this was by far the funniest and most intriguing thing I have ever seen....  BUT - being in high school - I was short on Cash.  And was able to make only 1 more purchase.   Should I buy it?  OR should I buy either a Keith Richards Bobble head ORRRRRR a Fork that extends to become a foot long?

IT HAD BECOME THE HARDEST DECISION OF MY LIFE!  a Rockin cool cd?  A funny lookin Bobble head?  Or and Extendo Fork?!

But I left with my head held high........... AND MY FORK HELD EVEN HIGHER!!!
Golly!  It was sooo cool before it broke a month later!  sighh... 

But ever since then - that album has been on my mind - and who made it was beyond me.  I never thought to write down the bands name and download it when I got home or try looking for it to legally purchase it back in Canada......  So for 4 and a half - almost 5 long years - I have spent the odd couple of nights trying to track them down.

Most recently I have been downloading television episodes online with my "bit torrent" application - and while trying for the life of me to download the cd soundtrack to "Billy Elliot" the Musical --- I remembered the cd.

I tried it out in the search..... It didn't come up.
But a name did...............


Who?! - I thought.  But in a flash I opened up another one of my illegal search ..... download..... application....... thing.
I punched in the name - and like wild fire - more and more songs streamed down.  Anywhere from "Bohemian Rhapsody" to "Welcome to the Jungle", "Ironman" and "Clocks" by Coldplay...  It was about my 20th song downloaded before I searched up more albums online...... and there I found it.  "Fat Lip" by Sum 41.  I downloaded it quickly and jammed to it embracing every beautiful pluck of the strings....  Then it occurred to me....... Do they have Jason Mraz triubutes??!!!  I searched and searched and nothing came up.  I was almost finished before it popped up on Google...... "I'm Yours" Tribute by The Vitamin String Quartet...........  Jaw open - palms sweaty...  Bed time nearing......  Mission starting.

-Mission 28- I'm Yours

Searching more and more I could not find me.  Trying different variations to my search patterns - and even researching the same links in hopes something new will pop up.  I was able to find new songs such as "Nowhere Man" by the Beatles and "Where is my mind" by the Pixies - but no sign of "Im Yours".  

I had downloaded about 30 songs at this point - all of em being beautiful in sound but still not "I'm Yours"....  Ironically enough by about 5:30 am I really just thought that this song was not going to be mine.... (teehee)

I gave up with my finale download of "Mr. Brightside" by the Killers and "Dare you to move" by Switchfoot.......  And as I put my computer to the side of me - I fell a sleep to those blissful strings playing the most TRIUMPHANT music anyone could hope for at 6:10 in the morning.

I woke up at noon.  Yelled at my phone to shut the hell up - then woke up at a quarter to two - of course putting my healthy sleeping to shame - but I woke up - did my usual teeth brush shower - doggy shake dry routine and I was back to it!  - well thats a lie.  I went outside to get some sun.  Didn't work out.  I got about ten seconds before the clouds covered up that joyful array of skin cancer!  And so inside I came.  Still saddened by the lack of my songs (although 30 would hold me over quite nicely) - I posted a message on my facebook - "Anyone want to buy me a single song on Itunes?!  Im desperate with NO Itunes account!" -- Within seconds - my good buddy "MIKE Ma(f'in)ckenzie" was BACK in the game!  Always popping out unexpectedly to help me out!!  -- It wasn't more than a few seconds before I told him the song I wanted and that he was a king among - not - kings - but still a great human being.

I HAVE THE SONG!!! man oh man!  That message encouraged other people like my friend Sara to join in on the pJ love and get me a song that was only available to purchase on Itunes like "Freebird" ---- sigh..... I am rolling in the tuneskies!  I busted on "I'm Yours" and danced around my room screaming with joy - jamming along.  Music is beautiful.


-pJ

No comments: